Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Fischbowl of Conversation!

    Wow! I have, for many years now, imagined what my first day of teaching would be like. What would I wear? What would I say? Do I come off stern at first so they don't walk all over me? Or am I supposed to be myself, and just pray they don't see any major signs of weakness that they can exploit? The question of what I will say has held the majority of my thought on the subject, and now I have found the most eloquently put representation of the conversation I would like to have with my students the first time I ever stand in front of them. Karl Fisch's blog entry of his conversation with students had me nodding in agreement through the entire reading.
    Fisch's entry speaks to the idea of redefining success among our students, and making ideas such as success clear and tangible. he writes, "No, I'll consider myself successful if you turn out to be good, kind, caring adults. If you're a good spouse, child and parent. If you contribute to the world and to your community and help those around you. If you participate. And learn." In a society of political correctness and toleration, I must blaspheme to propose that we need to promote clear ideas and definitions to our students. This means that as a teacher you are responsible for not only creating a learning environment, but teaching the "right" ideas to your students.  Fisch points out the importance of creating well-rounded individuals passionately willing to learn in all facets.
     Fisch goes on to speak to the idea of promoting a sense of citizenship, discernment, goal orientation, and empathy to one's students. He writes, "I believe you need the skills I'm trying to get you to learn for three main reasons. First, to be a successful citizen{...}Second, you have to learn these skills to get a good grade in this class, to do well in school, and to get into college if that's what you choose." Later he concludes by stating,"please consider what kind of future you want, not just for yourself, but for those around you." These attributes are what we should want to instill in every student! This is what education is about right? Training and leading the next generations.
   Fisch goes on to point out that amidst political and scholarly conversation and ongoing debate there should be no question as to the importance of conversation within the classroom, and that, without conversation, without the right emphasis on more character building and less multiplication drilling, we are setting our future generations up for false ideas of success, ease, and knowledge for their futures.
    So I leave with you with these thoughts: what kind of teacher will you be? what kinds of students do you want to see come out of your classroom? These are links to two videos on TeacherTube that address some of these issues.

1 comment:

  1. I think this article is a great one to read and you summarized it up perfectly. Students should be able to take what they learned in the classroom to the real world.

    ReplyDelete