Thursday, November 18, 2010

How I Would Use Infographics in My Classroom

This is a map created in order to easily display all of the events and characters that Odysseus visited throughout his long journey. This infographic could be used many ways, but the way I have seen it used most creatively, and the way I would like to use it myself, is to create a virtual info "map." The graphic would look much like the above picture, however, as the computer's cursor moves over the location or character, more information would be shown in a collapsible text box. In the text box I would include the page number and/ or chapter the  location and/or character appears in the text as well as significant passages concerning the location and/or character. An info "map" such as this could be created with any text, and provides students with quick access to information on specific characters and locations in the text.


This infographic is a literary timeline, and served as the inspiration for the lesson plan I developed for ED 505. For my lesson plan, I had students create a video timeline in which they used the same concepts here to connect historical social developments to the publication dates of well known texts of the time period. Another way to use this would be to have students create the timelines on poster boards and display them throughout the classroom.This allows the students a quick reference guide for cultural changes and allows them to think contextually about the literature in which they are reading at a given time.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very wonderful infographic. It tells how Ancient Romans traveled back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the map. I've noticed visual aids like that can help students so much when making sense of things. Words on a page become so much more "real" when paired with things to see.

    ReplyDelete